This course requires students to form teams (typically three to five students) and then select and complete a consulting project for a mission-driven organization in the Greater Boston area. It is intended to achieve the following goals:
- Provide opportunity for students to apply ideas and approaches from course work in business settings and reflect on what they have learned
- Provide significant teamwork experience for students
- Develop and apply students’ consulting skill set
- Create an experience that expands students’ professional opportunities
- Provide service to the community and carry out the Heller mission of knowledge advancing social justice
The organizations that student teams work with are selected through several processes, including a request for proposals process that the instructors carry out (with input from students) and organizations that are invited to participate through student initiative with approval by the instructors.
Each student team works closely with a Heller faculty adviser to give overall direction and oversight to the project. In addition to the project itself, the course will involve a series of workshops designed to provide students with the team building and consulting skills necessary to meet client needs. There will be several sessions that enable teams to share their experiences with other teams and problem solve as a group. At the conclusion of the course, student teams will prepare reports for their clients and present their projects to clients and the Heller community.